God Versus Sleep
My girlfriend is a nurse. She often works the night shift which means she gets to work at 7:00 PM and finishes at 7:00 AM the next day. Sometimes, when we haven’t seen each other in a while, we plan that she will come by my place and wake me up on her way back from work. I’m not generally a morning person. I always try to sneak in a few extra zees. But every time she’s done this, the anticipation and excitement wakes me up even before she gets here. In fact, I sometimes have to fight myself to get back to sleep. My desire for sleep is overshadowed by my desire to spend time with her.
Why isn’t it the same with God? When I wake up in the mornings to spend time with Him, I’m rarely excited at all. I have to wrestle myself to get out of bed. A few more minutes in bed seem incredibly precious. Sleep appears to be much more attractive.
I long for the day when my desire to spend time with God would be so strong as to wake me up in the morning with excitement and anticipation. Clearly, it is possible for me to be so excited about something that I find sleep boring. I don’t expect this to happen all the time, but surely it needs to happen sometimes. Lord may you do this work in my life.
Why isn’t it the same with God? When I wake up in the mornings to spend time with Him, I’m rarely excited at all. I have to wrestle myself to get out of bed. A few more minutes in bed seem incredibly precious. Sleep appears to be much more attractive.
I long for the day when my desire to spend time with God would be so strong as to wake me up in the morning with excitement and anticipation. Clearly, it is possible for me to be so excited about something that I find sleep boring. I don’t expect this to happen all the time, but surely it needs to happen sometimes. Lord may you do this work in my life.
Labels: Bible, Delight, Desire, Devotions, Discipline, Duty, God, Sleep

1 Comments:
Hey Mark, I'm with you; praying the same thing with the same desire.
Post a Comment
<< Home